Promoting Opportunities for Women-Identifying Students
and Students of Color to Study Composition at the Collegiate Level
2023 Lift Up Our Voices Scholarship Recipient
Lift Up Our Voices, Inc. is a non-profit corporation whose sole purpose is to provide scholarships for students who are women-identifying or a person of color, and are planning to study music composition in college.
Presently we offer one $3,500 scholarship to a high school senior, but we hope to expand our scholarship offerings for 2022 in several ways:
- We hope to offer a continuation of the inaugural scholarship for the duration of the recipient's four years of college
- We hope to offer a second scholarship focused on graduate students that are pursuing further study in composition
This of course will take more money! We hope you will consider helping us to provide the financial resources necessary to develop the next generation of composers from traditionally underrepresented groups. It is our goal to build a future where underrepresented composers have the same opportunities and are represented equally in the world of music.
We hope you will consider making a donation to this worthy cause. Your contribution can make a difference in the lives of talented students. Make your tax-deductible donation by clicking the button below. Thank you!
The Lift Up Our Voices Scholarship application process for 2024 is now open. Deadline is May 15, 2023
The Lift Up Our Voices Scholarship focuses on broadening the number of women-identifying students and students of color in the field of music composition. The Founders scholarship of $3,500 is eligible to candidates who fit the following criteria:
- Intent on pursuing a degree in music at the undergraduate level.
- Must be a female-identifying student or a student of color to qualify for the scholarship.
- Will be an entering college freshman and intends to be a full-time undergraduate student at a U.S. accredited educational institution of higher education in the fall of 2022, and has a minimum high school GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Demonstrate talent in music and composition by submitting representative musical works (2 maximum).
- Submit a short biography, and a short statement of your goals in music composition, and how this scholarship will help you achieve those goals.
- Submit two letters of recommendation (at least one from a music teacher) that highlight your successes in music, composition, and your potential for future growth in this area.
- Upload a PDF of your resume that includes pertinent information about your musical background and if there have been performances of your musical works (not required).
- Selection of the scholarship winner will be determined by a panel of experts in music and composition of diverse backgrounds. Click here for more information.
- If you receive the scholarship, you agree to allow Lift Up Your Voices, Inc. the use of your name, image, likeness, and short biography on our website and any promotional material for future scholarship solicitation.
We hope to offer more and varied scholarships in the near future. Check back for more information.