To be considered for the Lift Up Our Voices scholarship, the candidate must fit the following criteria and submit the following materials:
- Intent on pursuing a degree in music at the undergraduate level.
- Must be a female-identifying student or a student of color to qualify for the scholarship.
- Will be an entering freshman and intend to be a full-time undergraduate student at a U.S. accredited educational institution of higher education in the fall of 2020, and have a minimum high school GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Demonstrate talent in music and composition by submitting two diverse musical works.
- Submit a short biography, and a short statement of your goals in music composition and how this scholarship will help you achieve those goals.
- Submit two letters of recommendation (at least one from a music teacher) that highlight your successes in music, composition, and your potential for future growth in this area.
- Upload a PDF of your resume that includes pertinent information about your musical background and if there have been performances of your musical works (not required).
- Selection of the scholarship winner will be determined by a panel of experts in music and composition of diverse backgrounds.
- If you should receive the scholarship, you agree to allow Lift Up Your Voices, Inc. the use of your name, image, likeness, and short biography on our website and any promotional material for future scholarship solicitation.
Lift Up Our Voices, Inc. is a non-profit corporation whose sole purpose is to provide scholarship money for high school students who are female-identifying or are a person of color, and are planning to study music composition in college.
The Application process for 2021 is now open. The deadline for application is May 15, 2021.